1. Events surrounding the Commissioning Ceremony – there are a number of events traditionally associated with the commissioning of a ship that the Navy cannot pay for with taxpayer funds. The largest cost by far is the post-ceremony reception and plank owner plaques for members of the commissioning crew.
2. When Ralph jumped on the grenade on March 5, 1968 his actions changed the lives of those who he saved. We would like to use this event to continue Ralph Johnson’s legacy of “changing lives” by raising the funds required to establish a needs-based scholarship in his name. The Ralph Johnson Scholarship would be presented to a young African American from the State that desires to pursue a STEM degree at The Citadel. We have set this criteria for several reasons:
- Honors the community of which Ralph was a part.
- Supports the needs of our State by producing engineers and other graduates in the STEM field.
- Provides an opportunity for someone to attend one of the top colleges in the nation whose core values of Honor, Duty, and Respect reflect Ralph's life of service and sacrifice.
We hope you will join us in making both events a success.
Tax ID: 57-0728705
You can also mail your contribution to:
USS Ralph Johnson Commissioning Committee
C/O U.S. Navy League Charleston Council
P.O. Box 62606
North Charleston, SC 29419
*Please mark the check memo as “USS Ralph Johnson”
We need help spreading the word!
If you are a member of an organization interested in learning more about the Commissioning Ceremony, please contact us by email at email@example.com.