Naval Sea Cadet Corps Program
Visit this link to learn about the Yorktown-Hunley Chapter of the Naval Sea Cadet corps.
Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps Unit (NJROTCU)
Ten cadets from the South Florence NJROTCU, led by LCDR Joe Harmon, USN (ret), recently raised their right hands to enlist in the Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, Army, and SC National Guard. Navy League is proud to support this great unit.
Great Portage Race
The 2013 Great Portage Race (GPR) will be held on 14 September at Dreher Island State Park, near Chapin, South Carolina. This is an area-wide event supporting the Naval Sea Cadet Corps.
GPR objectives include:
· Building teaming skills and developing waterborne skills among Sea Cadets and Naval Junior ROTC Units in South Carolina State.
· Providing physical and mental challenges that help to build a “can do” attitude
· Increasing parental participation in their children’s extra-curricular activities and involving other organizations with interests in youth maritime activities.
The GPR also accomplishes the following:
· Supports Youth Programs that are focused on water sports, water safety and survival, and understanding of natural resources.
· Raises public awareness of the Sea Cadets and Navy League and the vital importance of our water resources for recreation, commercial and conservation use.
· Raises funds to support Sea Cadets and other participating Units
· Attracts new members for Sea Cadets and Navy League.
· Builds partnerships with other maritime associations
The first annual GPR in 2012 was an outstanding success. Be a part of this year’s success. Mail your tax deductible donation to:
Navy League Charleston Council
P.O. Box 62606
North Charleston, SC 29419
ATTN: Tom Brown, Chairman GPR